Happy Wednesday friends… how has your week been going so far? Mine has been extremely busy but absolutely wonderful. In fact, today I am off to the zoo with little miss for her end of the school year field trip. I love the zoo and am very excited to be going, especially with all the cuties that will be in my group!
Today, I wanted to talk to all of you about coconut water. In yesterday’s post (found here) I had mentioned that I use coconut water in my smoothies. I got some feedback regarding coconut water that I wasn’t terribly surprised to hear, people aren’t loving the way coconut water taste.
So why then is “everyone” drinking it? Because of the massive health benefits that coconut water has to offer.
I don’t want to lose you guys at this point because you think I am going to just suggest you suck it up and drink it up… that really isn’t the case and after I throw some facts at you, I am going to give you a stellar coconut water recipe that will help make drinking this nutrient power house drink more than just do-able.
Let’s dive in…
- Coconut water has all of the benefits of sports drinks without the sugar and sodium all the while giving off a bigger punch in the potassium category.
- The sugar that is found in coconut water (naturally) is in the simplest form and readily available to the body for energy.
- Coconut water is packed with Vitamin B & C to help aid in immunity.
- Coconut water aids in anti-aging efforts as it is full of lauric acid and cytokines. These elements also help in balancing your bodies pH levels.
- Regular consumption of coconut water is suggested to help raise your metabolic rate – all this means is that long term you can potentially burn more calories throughout the day by just living and breathing.
- Since coconut water is rich in Magnesium and Potassium, it is the perfect team mate to anyone trying to fight off cardiovascular disease.
I really could go on and on… but the point is, coconut water is worth drinking.
So how then do I stomach this thick and sweet drink that so many people pass up? It’s easy… I fix it up a bit!
- In one large mason jar, mix 6 oz. of coconut water and 6 oz. of white tea – preferably freshly brewed.
- Place the lid on the mason jar and close tightly. Shake the water and tea for about 1 minute to make sure this is mixed well.
- Open the mason jar and add many (6-8) ice cubes.
- Slice up fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple and/or kiwi and add them to the mason jar.
- Stir the drink well and enjoy!
The lightness of the white tea breaks up the thickness of the coconut water and the ice cubes make this drink extremely refreshing. By adding the fruit, you are giving some natural sugars (that your taste buds are used to) to this drink, so that you can slowly adjust to this new flavor. Over time, you can decrease the amount of white tea in the drink and increase the coconut water, or you can enjoy it how it is since both drinks are very beneficial to your health.
Have you ever drank coconut water? If so, how do you serve it up? In general, what is your favorite healthy drink to have during the warm summer months?