In a perfect world, every morning we would all sit down to a breakfast at our table. Our breakfast would look something like steel cut oats, drizzled with honey and mixed fresh organic berries. Or perhaps you are a egg’s kind of person… then for you it would be 2 eggs, with chopped up brussel sprouts all sautéed in olive oil and a said of peach slices.
I don’t live in that world, do you? Breakfast for me first off isn’t something I want… It’s something I do because I know it’s good for me. On top of that, breakfast is also often happening while I’m researching information for this blog, doing my daily devotions, or better yet completing a homework assignment. So what does this mean? Whether the FDA, AMA or most pro organic advocates like it or not… sometimes breakfast has to be more effective than it does ideal. Today I have a list for you of the top 5 fast breakfast choices that are also the healthiest for you.
1. Kashi Go Lean Cereals: for 1 Cup it will cost 160 calories, 35 grams of carbohydrates, 10 grams of fiber, 9 grams of sugar, 13 grams of protein and only one gram of fat! I would highly recommend that you stay away from this brand when the cereal title contains the word “crunch” this is often a sign of more sugar because to make that crunch they often do so with the help of toasted in sugar small pieces. If you find this cereal to bland, you can add stevia (or another NATURAL sweetener to it) as well as fruit. This cereal verses some of the others,specifically Raisin Bran Crunch, will save you (if eaten 3x a week for breakfast, throughout a year) 1.560 grams of sugar, which is over 3lbs, over 3,500 calories, which is a caloric pound, and over 2,000 grams of carbohydrates. No to mention, by eating this cereal rather than many of the others, you get an extra 1,404 grams of protein! WHAT????? I know, crazy!
2. Western Egg White and Cheese Melt (Subway): I think a lot of people forget about subway in terms of breakfast. After reading this though… I don’t think you will. If you go to subway and get for breakfast their Western Egg White and Cheese Melt, you are only paying (in nutrition) 160 calories, 19 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fat! The reason it’s a healthy pick besides those good numbers… it also has 15 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. I would definitely pair this with some apple slices and water as it is a bit higher in sodium, however for fast food… it really isn’t that bad at 400mg. Another nice thing about this option is that you can easily customize the veggies placed on it because, well… it’s subway, that what they do!
3. Fruit and Maple Oatmeal (McDonalds): If you are a hot cereal breakfast person, this one is for you! McDonalds has a bad rep, however it really steps up it’s game with this option. At only 260 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, 7 grams of protein, 48 grams of carbs, and 5 grams of fiber, this is definitely a win. Although I am not one of them, some people do really well on a high carbohydrate diet, and oats are definitely a high quality carbohydrate. My advice? Skip the brown sugar on this one and enjoy all the flavors of the fruit!
4. Fruit and Yogurt Parfait (Starbucks): If you grab your morning joe at Starbucks and usually grab a sandwich to go, consider this new option. It’s their greek yogurt and berry parfait and it’s packed with the good stuff! The stats on this options are: 220 calories, 3 grams of fat, 36 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of fiber, 19 grams of sugar and 14 grams of protein. This will keep you full (thank you protein), will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth, is fabulously creamy and packed full of anti-oxidants in thanks to those berries.
5. Jimmy Dean Turkey Delights Breakfast Sandwich: Maybe you are like me and hate to spend money at the drive through… so you often eat quick things at home. This choice is a great one and extremely well rounded. A lot of people look at it and think it must be bland, and if you are one of them, then just dab a bit of mustard on it and enjoy! For only 250 calories, you get 8 grams of healthy fats, 28 grams of whole grain carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, only 2 grams of sugar and 17 grams of protein! That’s a winner if you ask me!
We don’t live in a perfect world… and I completely understand that. It’s nice to know that we have fast AND healthy options available to use and although part of me wishes we did live in that “perfect world”, I’m glad we can enjoy one another and food until it arrives!